To celebrate World Dumpling Day on Saturday, 26 September, Oriental Teahouse is holding a digital dumpling masterclass with David Zhou, who will teach dumpling-lovers how to make three simple recipes from a single Dumpling Kit that makes 30 dumplings.
More than just a masterclass – hear about what makes World Dumpling Day so important for the Oriental Teahouse family, having shown their hospitality to dumpling-lovers around Melbourne for over 20 years and counting. Explore dumpling do’s and don’ts, learn the history of dim sum, and how to cook David’s favourite family recipes that honour the humble dumpling.
“Dumplings or dim sum loosely translates to ‘touch of the heart’ in Chinese,” says Restaurateur David Zhou of Oriental Teahouse. “Making food in a meaningful way or from the heart is helpful during this challenging time. Whether you live with your family or by yourself, making food that is special in some way – it’s like yoga or meditation.”
To accompany the masterclass, you can also order a $90 World Dumpling Day hamper, which includes:
- DIY prawn and mushroom pack – prawn, mushroom, bamboo shoots, spring onion and sesame (30pc)
- DIY veggie pack – bok choy, water chestnut, black mushroom, bamboo shoots, tofu, celery, pumpkin, spring onion and sesame (30pc)
- Chef-made pan-fried pork dumplings (20pc)
- Chef-made mixed signature dumplings pack – prawn, roast duck, shu mai, veggie, ginger prawn (10pc)
- A traditional dumpling basket set
- Condiments including a jar of homemade chilli sauce
- Link and QR code to David Zhou’s video masterclass – it can be played on mobile, laptop, or casted to the TV
Pre-orders are available now through the Oriental Teahouse website and deliveries will apply to 40km around Melbourne for $10.
Zhou says: “When we were open, I often saw tables with different generations, it was so common. If yum cha can bring people of all ages together – this is what I hope can still be experienced at home with our dumpling packs”.
Cook along to David Zhou’s dumpling masterclass and join him over a glass of wine or a beer as you learn how to perfect recipes like Zhou’s famous wonton soup. There will be guest cameos from some of the Oriental Teahouse clan, including Grandma Zhou, a reminder that dumplings are best shared with your loved ones – over Zoom or IRL.
Oriental Teahouse is a household name that provides a world-class teahouse experience that is authentically Chinese but with a modern twist. The space encompasses a day-to-night culinary experience that does not sacrifice the essence of a traditional Chinese teahouse.
World Dumpling Day kits by Oriental Teahouse
$90 each + $10 delivery (40km from Melbourne)
Order via Mr Yum https://www.mryum.com/othwdd
Or via Colab Pantry https://colabpantry.com.au/
Pre orders close on Thursday 24th September