World Cocktail Day, Friday 13 May is fast approaching and this year BACARDÍ wants to help you celebrate in style through a tour of signature cocktails from around the globe. Grab a recipe from your favourite destination below, and mix up your very own little vacation in a glass during your next cocktail hour.
First stop on this globetrotting itinerary is Mexico, courtesy of the thirst-quenching Margarita. This simple concoction of premium Patrón tequila, lime, and orange liqueur has stolen our hearts, while nailing four out of five of our taste buds: the salty rim of the glass, the sweetness of the agave, the bitterness of the tequila, and the sourness of the limes. What’s more, whether you’re in a tuxedo or a bathing suit, this concoction simply looks and feels oh-so-right.
The trip takes an energetic turn to the UK with the Espresso Martini. Born in the 1980’s late-night party days of Soho London, this delicious blend of caffeine, Grey Goose vodka and coffee liqueur, became the emblematic drinks order of choice for Young British Artists, Britpop stars, and supermodels by the turn of the millennium. It is still one of the world’s most popular drinks today.
Next stop, Cuba, and the Mojito does the laid back vibes of Havana well. The exact origins of the Mojito cocktail and its name are lost in time, some trace it back to a medicinal drink called the Draque in the 16th century. In 1862, BACARDÍ founder Don Facundo Bacardi replaced the aguardiente with BACARDÍ rum, and the Mojito, as we know it, was born. Consider this cocktail the perfect balance of sweet and tart, not to mention refreshing!
If you like Piña Colada, your journey ends on the tropical island of Puerto Rico. Serve it the way a Piña Colada recipe should be served: with fresh pineapple, coconut cream, lots of ice, and, of course, BACARDÍ Spiced Rum – you can already feel the breeze in your hair and smell the Caribbean.
Exploring the entire world in person may be out of reach for World Cocktail Day, but a night of multicultural discovery with friends at home, is a pretty good stopgap for now.
- 45ml Patrón Silver
- 30ml Citrónge Orange Liqueur
- 22.5ml Fresh lime juice
- 7.5ml Simple syrup
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously with ice to chill.
- Strain onto fresh ice in a rocks glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
- Optionally, salt half the rim of the glass with kosher salt.
Grey Goose Espresso Martini
- 50ml Grey Goose vodka
- 30ml Single origin Espresso
- 20ml coffee liquor
- Pinch salt
- 3 coffee beans
- Add GREY GOOSE® Vodka, espresso and coffee liqueur to a shaker.
- Shake briskly and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with three coffee beans.
- 50ml BACARDÍ Carta Blanca Rum 25ml Lime Juice
- 12 Mint Leaves
- 2 Tsp Extra Fine Sugar
- 25ml Soda Water
- Take the lime wedges and squeeze them in the glass, gently press together the limes and sugar
- Add mint to glass, and press with bar spoon to release oil
- Half fill the glass with crushed ice, add the BACARDÍ Carta Blanca Rum and churn
- Top with crushed ice and soda. Garnish with a mint sprig
BACARDÍ Spiced Rum Pina Colada
- 45ml BACARDÍ Spiced Rum 30ml Coconut Cream
- 40ml Pineapple Juice
- Tsp of Sugar
- 5ml Lime Juice
- Add BACARDÍ Spiced to the shaker with coconut cream, pineapple juice sugar and lime juice
- Fill the shaker with half-cubed ice, followed by some half- crushed ice
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled
- Finally, strain through a fine tea strainer into a cocktail glass and garnish with a pineapple slice